Survey Data

Reg No

50010455


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Technical


Previous Name

Edward Lee & Co.


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1890 - 1920


Coordinates

315469, 234555


Date Recorded

07/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay four-storey building over concealed basement, built c.1895, with glazed first floor and shopfront to ground floor. Four-bay side elevation fronting onto Jervis Street and multiple-bay two-storey extension to rear rising to three storeys to north end. Flat roof to both sections hidden behind red brick parapet wall with squat piers surmounted by limestone ball finials and moulding limestone coping. Parapet to central south bay interrupted by full limestone pediment having raised lettering to typanum 'E L & Co'(Edward Lee & Co.)'. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond surmounted by deep moulded limestone parapet cornice. Each bay to south elevation flanked by brick pilasters with continuous moulded granite courses framing third floor and continuous moulded brick cornice over first and ground floors, spanning entire south and east elevations. Square-headed window openings to second and third floors with granite architrave surrounds, moulded granite sills to second floor and replacement uPVC windows throughout. To upper levels of central pedimented bay is replacement two-tier three-sided canted oriel window. Continuous glazed first floor comprises series of timber-frame fixed-pane windows with continuous series of Art Nouveau leaded overlights, continuing across entire rear extension, inserted c.1915, with replacement metal fascia. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor with original timber cornice and recessed chamfered entrance. Six-bay two-storey rear extension with bricked-up blind bays to ground floor rises to three-bay three-storey extension to north, built c.1915, having original single-pane timber sliding sash windows to top floor.

Appraisal

Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis (1630-1707), Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3, in the area around Saint Mary's Abbey after buying much of this estate in 1674. This late Victorian red brick department store was built c.1897 by William Kaye-Parry, for Edward Lee & Co., on the site of former townhouses prominently situated at the corner of Mary Street and Jervis Street. Overlooking Saint Mary's Church to the south this ornate Edwardian style commercial building neatly ties Jervis Street to Mary Street, adding to the wealth of similarly-dated structures on the street and the variety of building types that now characterizes this historic streetscape.