Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social Technical
Beakey & Co./Mary Street Picture House
In Use As
1860 - 1935
Corner-sited terraced three-storey warehouse, built 1863, having seven bays to Wolfe Tone Street, two bays to Mary Street and chamfered entrance bay at corner. Cinema incorporated 1912 and reconstructed 1931. Building now used as commercial offices. Pitched roof, hipped to east end, hidden behind plain rendered parapet over deep cornice having decorative brackets. Rendered walls, having decorative guilloche-like frieze below cornice. Each bay has round-headed frame to upper floors, sides of frames essentially giant order pilasters lacking capitals. Ground floor separated from first floor by moulded cornice, with bays framed by squat pilasters having decorative capitals and high bases, latter forming part of continuous plinth. Lunettes to top floor, each having moulded archivolt, hood-moulding, guilloche frieze atop moulded cornice to sill, and having decorative roundels to spandrels. Round-headed window openings to first floor, each with moulded archivolt atop pilasters having capitals and bases, with stucco cartouche to tympani. Round-headed window to westernmost ground floor bay of Mary Street elevation, having moulded archivolt with cartouche to centre flanked by swags of drapery. Square-headed windows elsewhere to ground floor. Single pane of glass to all upper floor windows except first floor of Mary Street elevation, latter comprising one-over-one pane timber sliding sash window and replacement timber window. Ground floor windows have replacement timber framing. Square-headed doorways to corner bay and to southernmost bay of main elevation, having replacement double-leaf timber doors, glazed and with overlight to corner entrance.
In 1863, a warehouse for Beakey & Co. cabinet makers was built on the corner of Wolfe Tone Street (Stafford Street) and Mary Street by William G. Murray, to replace an earlier building, destroyed by fire. The new warehouse had two tiers of galleries around a central top-lit court. In 1912, the Mary Street Picture House was incorporated into the building for the Irish Kinematograph Company and in 1931 Robinson & Keefe reordered it. It was built with its longest elevation facing Saint Mary's Church. Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3, in the area around Saint Mary's Abbey, after buying much of the estate in 1674. Occupying an important corner site, this presents a fine decorative stuccoed elevation, greatly contrasting with the largely eighteenth and nineteenth-century streetscape.