Survey Data

Reg No

50010449


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical


Previous Name

Designer Furniture


Original Use

House


Date

1730 - 1780


Coordinates

315371, 234502


Date Recorded

07/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey house, built c.1750, now in commercial use, with recent shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Chimneystacks to both party walls. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cast-iron tie-plates. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with painted granite sills and early timber sliding sash windows, single-pane to first floor, six-over-six to second floor and three-over-three to third floor.

Appraisal

Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3,in the area around Saint Mary’s Abbey after buying much of this estate in 1674. No.2 Mary Street is an eighteenth-century house, and is characterized by diminishing fenestration pattern of classical proportions. Located on the east side of Mary Street, now mainly dominated by ornate late twentieth-century buildings, No.2 is a rare survivor from the eighteenth century, reputedly retaining an early timber staircase and adding to the wealth of architectural variety on this historic streetscape.