Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Corner-sited terraced four-storey commercial building with canted corner, built c.1880, with shopfront spanning entire ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and brick chimneystack to east party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront with glazed corner entrance bay and full-span fascia. Square-headed door opening to south bay of south elevation with partially exposed pilaster and replacement timber door providing access to upper floors.
This corner-sited retail building is prominently located at the corner of Capel Street and Mary Street. Surrounded by eighteenth-century buildings, the restrained detailing seamlessly stitches both streetscapes together with the use of a chamfered corner elevation. Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3, in the area around Saint Mary’s Abbey after buying much of this estate in 1674. This mid-nineteenth-century building adds to the varied but coherent appearance of both streetscapes.