Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced two-bay three-storey building, built c.1870, as part of group of three, with shopfront to ground floor. M-profile mansard slate roof, hipped to south, with rebuilt brick chimneystacks to north. Roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with red brick mouldings and corbels. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to lead-lined former cornice over ground floor. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor with over-sized fascia and timber door to south giving access to upper floors.
Capel Street was laid out in 1680 by Humphrey Jervis as a prestigious residential street and named after Arthur Capel, Earl of Essex. By 1800 the street had become one of the city's principal commercial thoroughfares with the current plot ratios reflecting the layout of that period. This building appears to be a complete rebuild from the mid-nineteenth century and is reputed to incorporate a former Presbyterian church along with Nos.133-135 adding further interest to this layered streetscape.