Survey Data

Reg No

50010440


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical


Original Use

Church/chapel


Historical Use

Bakery


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1870


Coordinates

315339, 234475


Date Recorded

28/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, adapted for bakery 1867, having recent vehicular entrance to ground floor and doorway providing access to upper floors, housed within recent timber shopfront. M-profile slate roof, hipped to north, with red brick chimneystacks, hidden behind red brick parapet having moulded masonry bracketed cornice over moulded cornice. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, quoin strips flanking fa├žade now removed. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings to upper floors, with masonry sills and two-over-two-pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening with recent timber door, and overlight. Rendered and glazed barrel-vaulted corridor to interior, opening into double-height rendered brick corridor and hall to interior flanked by arcades, with rendered columns having plinths and cornices, painted brick arches. Gauged brick round-headed arch to south of hall flanked by red brick engaged pilasters supporting moulded red brick cornice and plaque inlaid with date 1882.

Appraisal

Capel Street was laid out in the late seventeenth century, although most of the surviving architecture dates from the succeeding two centuries, such as this aesthetically pleasing Victorian building. This building and those nearby were modified to become Boland's bakery, established by Charles Geoghegan in 1867. the exterior of the building has a pleasant brick facade, much of a good shopfront and eye-catching eaves detailing. The arcaded structure within the building is well built and architecturally and historically intriguing.