Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1860, with recent shopfront to ground floor. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, with rendered chimneystack to north party wall. Roof hidden behind rendered parapet with masonry coping. Cement rendered walls. Segmental-headed window openings to upper floors with corbelled granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows.
Capel Street was laid out in 1680 by Humphrey Jervis as a prestigious residential street and named after Arthur Capel, Earl of Essex. By 1800 the street had become one of the city's principal commercial thoroughfares with the current plot ratios reflecting the layout of that period. During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries many buildings had been refaced which appears to be the case with this house. The roof plan, graduated fenestration and plot ratio conform to an early nineteenth-century date belied by the segmental-headed windows and rendered façade, adding to the complex and layered history of this relatively intact streetscape.