Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Terraced group of three four-storey houses, built c.1770 as two pairs of houses, former end house to south now constituting separate property, and amalgamated c.1870 for commercial use, and now having replacement shopfront spanning ground floor. Southernmost house has original M-profile slate roof, hipped to north with pair of chimneystacks to centre. Former pair to northern half has replacement pie-ended slate roof with central chimneystack. All roofs hidden behind rendered parapet wall with moulded cornice and replacement uPVC hopper and downpipe breaking through to northern end. Painted rendered walls with painted Roman cement flat-panelled pilasters to north end with roundel panels. Square-headed window openings and painted stone sills throughout with patent rendered reveals to second and third floors and architrave surrounds to first floor. Single-pane timber sliding sash windows to third floor, six-over-six pane to second floor and replacement uPVC to first floor.
Capel Street was laid out in the late seventeenth century by Humphrey Jervis as a prestigious residential street and named after Arthur Capel the Earl of Essex. By 1800 the street had become one of the city's primary commercial thoroughfares and the current plot ratios reflect the buildings of that period. The roof plan to this building clearly indicates its origin as several houses, amalgamated in the late nineteenth century, with a decorative stucco façade. The former pair to the south have larger windows than those to the north. The unifying façade treatment was carried out in the late nineteenth century to create Joshua Edmondson & Company's hardware store and continues to be used as such and now forms part of the palimpsest character of this historic streetscape.