Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1710 - 1760
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1735, now in use as shop with accommodation over, having recent timber shopfront to ground floor. L-plan pitched roof concealed by red brick parapet with squared granite coping. Partially rendered red brick chimneystack to south party wall to south, and octagonal cast-iron hopper and downpipe to front (west) elevation. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Diminishing gauged brick flat-arch window openings with brick reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows.
Located in a pleasant terrace of similarly scaled houses, this fine building forms an integral component of the important historic streetscape of Capel Street, a street laid out by Humphrey Jervis to link the new Essex Bridge (now Grattan Bridge) (1678) to the Great North Road. Originally a fashionable residential street of houses it became largely commercialized around 1800. It frames an important vista to the south on axis with City Hall.