Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1885 - 1890
Corner-sited end-of-terrace gable-fronted two-bay four-storey commercial building, dated 1889, with four-bay side elevation fronting onto Liffey Street, with shopfronts to both elevations. Pitched slate roof set behind gable and east parapet wall with chamfered limestone coping and three ball finials to gable. Cast-iron downpipe breaking through to west end with further pair of downpipes set into wall on east elevation. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with recessed round stone plaque having raised digits '1889' and moulded surround. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with masonry sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement glazed shopfronts to both elevations with series of original stop chamfered masonry Doric piers with plinth mouldings supporting continuous fascia and replacement lead-lined cornice.
This corner building rises above most of the adjoining structures with an accentuated vertical emphasis. Retaining most external fabric, including the ground floor piers, it stands out on this awkward junction and terminates the vista from Middle Abbey Street and Upper Liffey Street.