Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Terraced single-bay four-storey commercial building over basement, built c.1920, as one of pair with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with moulded faience coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with faience frieze and dentillated cornice with channel rusticated faience soldier quoins. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings to third floor with faience sills and replacement uPVC windows. Three-sided canted oriel window to first and second floors with replacement uPVC glazing and aprons surmounted by concrete cornice. Replacement timber shopfront framed by painted faience Ionic pilasters and faience cornice.
This commercial building was built to replace earlier buildings following the widespread destruction of the 1916 Rising, but respects the traditional plot ratio of the streetscape. The façade is articulated by an oriel window and faience embellishments which contribute to the wealth of early twentieth-century buildings of Abbey Street and the O’Connell Street area.