Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Cultural, Social
In Use As
1935 - 1940
Façade of terraced single-bay two-storey cinema, built 1938, with remainder of cinema largely demolished c.1996. Flat roof concealed behind Portland stone parapet with cement coping. Coursed Portland stone walls on painted plinth with end bays breaking forward and first floor delineated by projecting and recessed stringcourses over advanced platbands. Replacement vertical sign in place of former cinema sign. Central vehicular opening insertion flanked by engaged Art Deco columns with fluted capitals. Square-headed opening on first floor with moulded surround framing five steel windows flanked by engaged Art Deco columns with fluted capitals.
The Adelphi was built in 1938 by W.R. Glen and Robert Donnelly following the destruction of the 1916 Rising. While the cinema was largely demolished c.1996 the retained and reworked façade provides considerable architectural interest with its crisp Portland stone works and restrained Art Deco detailing in contrast to the mainly neoclassical buildings in Middle Abbey Street. The Adelphi was also the location of The Beatles' only Dublin performance on the 7th November 1963.