Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1750. M-profile slate roof, hipped to east and hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Shared lead hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet to east. Rebuilt red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to west. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with some original lime pointing, painted to ground floor, on granite plinth course over rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with painted granite sills and original early timber architrave surrounds to upper floors, replacement timber sliding sash windows to top floor, early timber casement windows to second floor and early nineteenth-century six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor. Replacement timber windows elsewhere. Round-headed door opening with painted stone pedimented Doric doorcase. Original timber door with six raised-and-fielded panels and applied metal door furniture. Door flanked by Doric pilasters on raised plinth blocks supporting pulvinated entablature to open pediment housing fanlight on lintel cornice with later webbed ironwork. Door opens onto tiled platform and two tiled steps enclosed to east by replacement iron railing. Basement area to west enclosed by original wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall.
Abbey Street Middle suffered much destruction during the 1916 Rising with this early Georgian house being one of a handful of survivors, now set among largely early twentieth-century commercial buildings. Retaining a wealth of interesting original fabric and a very good Doric doorcase, this house has added significance for being a reminder of the early Georgian residential character of the Abbey Street area, which has mostly been lost. The house adds to the variety of building types that make up this historic streetscape.