Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1750. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with masonry coping and having rendered chimneystack with clay chimney pots to the west. Rebuilt red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to concrete sill course above rendered ground floor and basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with concrete sills and early twentieth-century two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to upper floors, replacement timber sliding sash windows elsewhere. Round-headed door opening with pedimented painted masonry doorcase. Possibly replacement timber door with six raised-and-fielded panels, stone architrave surround flanked by slender pilasters and scrolled console brackets supporting dentillated pediment, open to accommodate early spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and two granite steps bridging basement area, enclosed by replacement steel railings on granite plinth wall. Lamp standard to either side of entrance area with manufacturer's name: 'Harte' to base. Basement area also enclosed by replacement steel railing on painted plinth wall with steel gate and steps giving access to basement.
This early Georgian house, which appears to have had its façade rebuilt during the early twentieth century, was possibly damaged, along with much of the street, during the 1916 Rising. The building retains, however, a fine pedimented doorcase and is a rare survivor of the street's original residential Georgian fabric. The manufacturer's mark on the base of the lamp standard also contributes to the variety of built heritage extant on this constantly evolving streetscape.