Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1740 - 1760


315750, 234461

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1750. Now in use as drop-in centre. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with masonry coping. Single chimneystack to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, with first floor sill course. Smooth rendered ground floor and basement walls with panelled Corinthian pilasters to either end surmounted by decorative scrolled console brackets flanking timber fascia. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with moulded masonry sills, replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows with exposed sash boxes placed flush to fa├žade and early replacement three-over-three timber sliding sash windows to third floor. Moulded architrave surround to ground floor window with painted masonry sill and replacement uPVC window to basement. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Original timber door with ten raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting fluted lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and two nosed granite steps. Platform and basement enclosed by cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate and steel steps to basement.


Although much of Abbey Street was destroyed during the Easter Rising of 1916, this is a rare surviving example of a Georgian house that was previously the predominant building type. Retaining its early exposed sash boxes and a decorative nineteenth-century ground floor treatment, the house presents an early residential elevation to the street. The intact doorcase and overall composition make this house a rare eighteenth-century example that contributes greatly to the layered architectural heritage of the streetscape and the wider area.