Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1710 - 1730
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over basement, built c.1720, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Replacement hipped slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with masonry coping. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls with channel rusticated rendered walls to shopfront. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Modern glazed shopfront with square-headed door opening to east bay and timber fascia over. Shop and door opens onto raised platform with replacement granite paving and three replacement granite steps.
This late eighteenth-century house has been extensively renovated with the loss of much of its original fabric, except for the fenestration pattern. One of seven rare survivors from the eighteenth century on this street, the house appears to have survived the destruction of most of the streetscape during the 1916 Rising. While the building retains very little external fabric, it forms part of a terrace of buildings spanning three centuries which presents an interesting variety of building types that now form the character of this historic street. The building retains significant early detailing to the interior.