Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1915 - 1920


315853, 234483

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced single-bay four-storey commercial building over concealed basement, reconstructed 1917, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Built as one of pair. Flat roof with shared rendered chimneystacks, hidden behind raised parapet wall with granite coping and cast-iron downpipe breaking through to east end. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite ashlar blocking course and deep moulded cornice above third floor flanked by scrolled console brackets and foliate panels. Full-span inset oriel window to all three floors with shallow canted central section, continuous cornice and frieze with swags and wreaths above first and second floor windows. Original timber casement windows with overlights. Replacement glazed shopfront flanked by polished granite pilasters surmounted by scrolled console brackets with pediments framing full-span cornice.


This building replaced a townhouse destroyed during the 1916 Rising, along with much of the Abbey Street Middle. It was designed by the architect Patrick Munden who later formed the partnership of Munden and Purcell Architects, which continued until the 1980s. It is one of six similar buildings employing decorative elements such as full-width glazing and stone embellishments. The contractor was Thomas Mackey and Sons of Camden Street. Although the shopfront has been altered, the basic elements remain and the building adds to a collection of early twentieth-century buildings that respect the former plot ratio of the streetscape while adding architectural interest to the street's composition.