Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1915 - 1925


315873, 234485

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey commercial building, reconstructed c.1920, with traditional-style shopfront inserted to ground floor. Built as one of pair. Flat roof with shared rendered chimneystacks, hidden behind raised parapet wall with moulded faience coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to upper levels, having dentillated faience trim to deep moulded granite cornice. Square-headed window openings to second and third floors with moulded faience surrounds, sills and steel casement windows. Second floor windows have lugged and kneed faience surrounds with keystones and hood cornice. To first floor is tripartite pedimented faience window surround with channel rusticated faience mullions, moulded faience sill and steel casement windows with historic glass. Shopfront comprises off-centre replacement aluminium-framed shop display window and doors and square-headed entrance to east with replacement glazed door and square overlight. Shopfront and door opening flanked by rendered Doric pilasters to plain fascia framed by fluted console brackets with arched pediments.


This building is one of six similar buildings employing decorative elements such as full-width glazing with stone embellishments and the maintaining the same-height parapet height with its neighbours. It was also built as one of a pair of identical commercial buildings within the terrace of six commercial buildings, which were reconstructed following the destruction of most of the streetscape during the 1916 Rising. Features such as a tripartite window and faience mouldings add a classical element and decorative interest to the fa├žade. The shopfront, also artistically significant with its fluted consoles, places this building within the commercial context of the street as a whole.