Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


Historical Use

Public house


1860 - 1880


315885, 234487

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay five-storey commercial building over raised basement, built c.1870. Half-hipped slate roof hidden behind raised parapet wall with granite coping on brick corbels and machicolated brick eaves course. Cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to east end. Painted red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having painted brick quoins to either end. Projecting brick course to each level on paired brick corbels spanning front elevation. Ruled-and-lined cement rendered wall to rear and side elevations. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings, round-headed to ground floor with replacement fixed-pane windows to front and rear. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with flat-panelled timber door and swivel overlight. Door opens onto terrazzo platform and two terrazzo steps. Platform and basement area enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth walls with matching gate and traditional-style steel lamp standards.


Part of a terrace of commercial buildings lining the south side of Abbey Street Middle, this house is one of the few that survived the destruction of neighbouring buildings following the Rebellion in 1916. Dating from the late nineteenth century, its façade is enlivened and articulated by brick detailing to the eaves course, the corbelled sill courses, the quoins and the elaborate front railings. The rear elevation is quite industrial in appearance and adds to the overall interest of the site. The brightly painted façade and cambered windows make a strong impression on this largely commercial streetscape.