Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited three-storey house, built c.1820, on corner of Liffey Street Lower and North Lotts, now in use as public house. Low hipped roof hidden behind parapet wall, having cement rendered chimneystack on party wall with No.10 Liffey Street Lower to north. Cast-iron hopper and rainwater goods breaking through parapet at junction with No.10 to north. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to west and south elevations, having granite coping to parapet and steel reinforcing bands above first and second floor windows. Street sign to first floor of south elevation. Timber shopfront to ground floor having angled nameplate fascia with decoratively carved foliate brackets at junctions with neighbouring buildings. Engaged pilasters having low plinths and fluted consoles. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to first and second floors having replacement uPVC windows, rendered painted reveals and painted granite sills. Blind windows to west bay on south elevation. Timber-framed tripartite basket-headed windows to ground floor shopfront, paired to west elevation and single to south. Rendered pier flanked by timber piers having moulded console and plinth at corner of Liffey Street Lower and Lotts supporting building over canted entrance. Tiled entrance platform behind granite step. Timber part-glazed door with timber-framed doorcase having timber panelled risers, basket headed sidelights and tripartite overlight with basket-headed central pane. Gold writing to overlight advertising 'The Proprietor Louis Fitzgerald is licensed to sell beers, wines & spirits t days a week'. Secondary square-headed entrance to east of south elevation on North Lotts having replacement raised and fielded panelled door with six obscured glass panes surmounted by overlight. Metal hatch doors to pavement of Lotts giving access to concealed basement. Replacement paving to Liffey Street Lower and Lotts with granite kerbing, modern metal bollards to Liffey Street Lower and original cobbling to Lotts.
No.9 Liffey Street Lower is a late Georgian building that contributes to the historic character of the street. It is notable for the survival of its carved nineteenth-century shopfront. Its corner location, emphasized by the column supporting the corner, makes this a prominent building. Liffey Street Lower was occupied mainly by furniture brokers in the mid-nineteenth century, and today it remains retail focused having many three-storey eighteenth-century houses converted into shops. An early eighteenth-century street, it was mostly rebuilt in the last decades of the nineteenth century.