Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820, now in commercial use with recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof concealed behind rendered parapet having concrete coping. Truncated rendered chimneystack to north party wall. Ruled-and-lined cement render walls to recent shopfront to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with flush reveals and concrete sills having two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows.
This house forms part of a historic terrace that frames the important vista from Capel Street to City Hall. The building is enlivened by the timber sash windows which add historical interest. Capel Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis to link the new Essex Bridge (now Grattan Bridge) to the Great North Road. Originally a fashionable residential street of houses, it became largely commercialized around 1800 and this structure probably formed part of the redevelopment process.