Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1780 - 1820


315444, 234263

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over concealed basement, built c.1800, with shopfront to ground floor. M-profile slate roof, hipped to east, with tall stepped brick chimneystacks with terracotta pots to west party wall abutting stacks of adjoining house. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with masonry coping. Brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Diminishing gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and original timber sliding sash windows without horns, six-over-six pane to first and second floors and three-over-six pane to third floor. Timber shopfront comprises full-height bipartite fixed-pane display windows flanked by fluted pilasters and square-headed door opening with glazed timber door to east, all surmounted by plain timber fascia framed by foliate scrolled console brackets and cornice over. Steel plate set in granite surround to front pavement. Entrance hall retains original modillion plaster cornice, ceiling rose and some original joinery.


Ormond Quay Lower and Upper were the first quays to be built on the north side of the River Liffey c.1680. They were developed by Humphrey Jervis, and named them in honour of the Duke of Ormond, who instigated the trend of building houses to face the river. This house is a good example of its type with a late nineteenth-century shopfront, sitting comfortably in a terrace of similarly-scaled buildings and making a positive contribution to the appearance of one of Dublin’s most intact river frontages.