Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1770
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1765, built as one of pair, now in use as commercial offices. Triple-pile slate roof, hipped to west of front pile, hipped to remainder with pair of shared yellow brick chimneystacks to east party wall with clay pots. Roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with squared granite coping and shared hopper and lead downpipe breaking through to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on chamfered granite plinth course over painted coursed and squared limestone walls to basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. First and second floor window openings dropped during late eighteenth century. Round-headed door opening with pedimented painted granite Doric doorcase. Original timber door with eight raised-and-fielded panels, brass furniture and convex moulded architrave surround flanked by engaged Doric columns on raised plinth blocks and full Doric entablature blocks supporting open pediment housing spoked timber fanlight with foliate panels to soffit. Door opens onto granite platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and six granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement enclosed by decorative iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on moulded granite plinth wall. Matching iron gate and steel steps give access to basement. Three-storey twentieth-century structure to rear plot fronting onto Great Strand Street.
Ormond Quay was the first of the quays to be built on the north side of the River Liffey, complete by c.1680, developed by Sir Humphrey Jervis and named in honour of the Duke of Ormond who instigated the trend for building houses facing the river. Built as one of a pair, set back from the remainder of the terrace, this house represents one of the more speculative properties on Ormond Quay, differing from No.10 in fenestration size. Considered as a matching pair with fine pedimented doorcases, these grand houses add variety and interest to the quayside which remains one of Dublin’s best preserved river frontages.