Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, as one of pair, now in commercial and office use. M-profile hipped slate roof with brick chimneystacks having clay pots to west party wall. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond with original lime pointing. Continuous masonry sill course to first floor over channel rusticated rendered ground floor with masonry plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills, replacement timber sliding sash windows and replacement uPVC reveals to first and second floors. Segmental-headed window opening to ground floor with granite sill and fixed-pane display window. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and original painted masonry doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by slender panelled pilasters and scrolled console brackets with guttae supporting panelled lintel cornice and original leaded petal fanlight over. Door opens onto concrete area flush to pavement and bridging basement. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings with cast-iron embellishments on moulded granite plinth wall.
Ormond Quay was the first of the quays to be built on the north side of the River Liffey, complete by c.1680, developed by Humphrey Jervis and named in honour of the Duke of Ormond who instigated the trend for building houses facing the river. This Georgian house was built as one of a pair and retains a good doorcase, front railings and its overall composition, making a positive contribution to what is probably the earliest and most intact quayside on the Liffey.