Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1790
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1770, largely rebuilt c.2000 during construction of Morrison Hotel. Replacement single-span roof extending across neighbouring house No.14. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with replacement granite coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to top floor with continuous rendered sill course over ruled-and-lined rendered walls to ground floor and basement. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening with pedimented painted stone Doric doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door with plain jambs and lintel cornice flanked by engaged Doric columns on raised plinth blocks supporting entablature blocks and open pediment housing fanlight with moulded surround and spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto two granite steps, granite platform and further four granite steps bridging the basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by replacement iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall with matching iron gate to east giving basement access via steel steps. Rear site occupied by Morrison Hotel.
Ormond Quay was the first of the quays to be built on the north side of the River Liffey, complete by c.1680, developed by Humphrey Jervis and named in honour of the Duke of Ormond who instigated the trend for building houses facing the river. This Georgian townhouse was extensively rebuilt and incorporated into the adjoining hotel with only the front elevation retained. The pedimented doorcase and intact façade composition help retain the original domestic appearance of this Georgian terrace and plays its role in maintaining the intact appearance of this river frontage.