Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1720 - 1740
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, built c.1730, now in use as hotel and bar, along with Nos.23-24, with Edwardian timber shopfront inserted to ground floor. Hipped slate roof set perpendicular to street behind parapet wall with painted masonry coping and cast-iron hoppers and down pipes breaking through to either end. Chimneystack with clay pots to west party wall. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stucco architrave surrounds, pedimented to first floor, painted granite sills and replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Lead-lined continuous sill course to first floor forming cornice to shopfront. Decorative symmetrical timber shopfront with recessed entrance having decorative double-leaf glazed doors surmounted by frieze, Rococo crest and arched overlight. Entrance flanked by splayed display windows with arched overlights, decorative Rococo stall risers and tiled front area. Matching Rococo glazed timber door to east with overlight all flanked by highly decorative pilasters with gilt embellishments and scrolled console brackets framing timber fascia over.
Bachelor’s Walk was laid out c.1680 as an extension of Ormond Quay, with the building of residences starting in the early 1700s by wealthy merchants. This house forms part of a relatively intact stretch to the east end of the quay and retains its façade composition to the upper floors in addition to a later shopfront. The stucco decoration appears to be replacement while the use of traditional sash windows with the original graduated fenestration pattern adds to the integrity of the streetscape on this central location overlooking O’Connell Bridge and the River Liffey.