Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1920
Terraced three-bay four-storey public house, built 1917, having shallow breakfront. Hipped roof aligned perpendicular to street with red brick chimneystack to west party wall and red brick parapet wall having moulded granite coping. Square-profile cast-iron rainwater goods to east of breakfront to front (south) elevation. Moulded granite cornice with dentillated course to eaves, and red brick walling laid in Flemish bond. Portland stone plinth wall forming continuous sill course over shopfront. Moulded red brick kneed surround, surmounted by red brick entablature and moulded sandstone cornice, to first and second floors. Moulded red brick string course over first floor and canted timber clock bracket to second floor. Diminishing gauged brick square-headed window openings with single-pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Portland stone sills to third floor windows, continuous moulded Portland stone sill and stepped reveals to second floor windows, chamfered reveals to first floor openings. Masonry arcade to ground floor comprising engaged pilasters supporting moulded round-headed architrave surrounds and keystones, cornice, unadorned entablature and moulded and dentillated cornice over. Round render details to spandrels. Square-headed window openings to arcade, over panelled masonry risers and sills with stained-glass fanlights over. Square-headed door opening having double-leaf timber panelled door and stained-glass fanlight.
Built as a commercial building following the destruction of much of this area during the 1916 Rising, this fine building by O'Callaghan & Webb makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. Red brick and stone detailing add decorative interest to the façade which is further enhanced by a granite arcade shopfront to the ground floor, which is reminiscent of the arcade which once featured in several commercial buildings on Eden Quay. The addition of stained-glass fanlights adds a degree of artistic interest.