Survey Data

Reg No

50010310


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Office


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

316141, 234501


Date Recorded

12/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820, having shopfront to ground floor. Shared M-profile slate roof, hipped to west with shared rendered chimneystacks and terracotta pots to east and west party walls, rebuilt red brick parapet wall having squared masonry coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods to rear (north) elevation. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to moulded render string course over shopfront. Rendered wall to side (west) elevation. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to front elevation having patent rendered reveals, masonry sills and timber sliding sash windows throughout, single-pane to first and second floors, three-over-three pane to third floor, and two-over-two and six-over-six pane to rear. Cast-iron balconette to third floor window to front elevation. Recent shopfront to ground floor comprising tiled pilasters, plastic fasciaboard and square-headed glazed uPVC window and door openings behind steel rolling shutters. Round-headed rendered doorcase to east of shopfront comprising engaged render pilasters with moulded capitals surmounted by moulded hood-moulding. Timber panelled door flanked by engaged timber pilasters with foliate embellished capitals supporting moulded lintel and overlight.

Appraisal

The modest façade of this building is greatly enlivened by a simple but well-composed timber doorcase and a variety of timber sash windows, adding to its architectural significance and character. It maintains the fenestration rhythm and parapet height of the neighbouring buildings, thus contributing to a unified streetscape. Eden Quay was constructed in the early part of the nineteenth century, some of the buildings having been reconstructed post-1916. Many of the buildings in this area functioned as offices of steamship agents and brokers and had stone arcaded shopfronts, although this feature has been dispensed with in this case.