Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to ground floor. Previously in use as commercial premises, currently vacant. Shared M-profile slate roof, hipped to east, with shared rendered chimneystacks and terracotta pots to west party wall, rebuilt red brick parapet wall having masonry coping. Replacement rainwater goods to rear (north) elevation. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to render string course over shopfront. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to front (south) elevation having patent rendered reveals and masonry sills. Three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor of front elevation, replacement uPVC windows to second and third floors. Wrought-iron balconettes to third floor windows. Two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to rear elevation. Recent shopfront to ground floor with smooth rendered wall flanked by round-headed render pilasters with timber faciaboard. Square-headed window and door opening with flanking render pilasters, timber fascia and glazed timber door, with single-pane sidelights and overlight. Round-headed door opening to east of shopfront having timber doorcase comprising engaged pilasters on plinth bases, supporting moulded lintel course forming base for replacement fanlight over timber panelled door.
Eden Quay was constructed in the early part of the nineteenth century with some of the buildings having been reconstructed post-1916. Many of the buildings in this area functioned as offices of steamship agents and brokers and had stone arcaded shopfronts although this feature has been dispensed with in this building. The fenestration rhythm and parapet height of the terrace has been maintained in this building and it forms an integral component of the streetscape. A timber doorcase to the ground floor and timber sash windows to the rear and first floor add additional historic integrity to the building.