Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820, now in commercial use. Shared M-profile pitched slate roof with shared red brick chimneystacks and rendered parapet wall having masonry coping. Replacement rainwater goods to rear (north) elevation. Ruled-and-lined rendered wall to front (south) elevation, red brick wall laid in Flemish bond to rear. Square-headed window openings to front having patent rendered reveals, masonry sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to rear with timber sash windows, four-over-four pane, one-over-six pane and replacement bipartite window. Single round-headed window opening having timber sliding sash window. Arcade to ground floor of front elevation comprising engaged pilasters with recessed panels, supporting granite hood-mouldings over central round-headed door opening with timber panelled door and plain glazed fanlight, flanked by three-centred-arch window openings, having timber-framed glazed windows on masonry risers. Round-headed door opening to east with timber panelled door and plain glazed fanlight.
Eden Quay was constructed in the early nineteenth century as part of the Wide Streets Commissioners plan to extend the north quays eastwards from Bachelors Walk to the Custom House. As the western limit for seagoing vessels in the city, many of the businesses which occupied the buildings lining it were concerned with maritime commerce, many housing shipping or emigration agencies. Many are now in commercial use. The granite arcade to the ground floor adds significant architectural and contextual interest to the façade, as it was once a common feature on the terrace but remains extant in only two buildings.