Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1825, now in use as commercial offices. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Partially rebuilt stepped brown brick chimneystacks to both party walls. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond (irregular bond to the top floor). Painted chamfered granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Projecting copper box sign with perspex sign 'The Irish Catholic' above first floor and round clock face to second floor. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement aluminium casement windows. Replacement timber sliding sash window to basement. Gauged brick three-centred-arch door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry advanced Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by fluted Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled box lintel with original leaded spoked fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and three granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by wrought and cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall. Black and red clay tiles to basement area.
This house is located to the lower end of Gardiner Street as laid out by Luke Gardiner in the 1790s. This section of the street was cut off from the remainder of the street by the insertion of the Loop Line in the 1890s. Now in commercial use as the offices of the Irish Catholic News, the building has lost some original fabric but retains its doorcase, railings and overall composition, making a contribution to the Georgian streetscape in close proximity to the Custom House.