Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c.1920, with shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping and squat brick piers to either end. Chimneystacks to east party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite blocking course forming third floor lintel surmounted by deep moulded granite cornice. Channelled rusticated red brick pilasters frame upper floors with granite capital mouldings to parapet cornice. Decorative projecting iron sign to first floor. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills and original timber casement windows and overlights. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor flanked by granite ashlar piers surmounted by painted panelled console brackets framing timber fascia and cornice.
The building was built to replace a former house destroyed during the 1916 Rising and respects the traditional parapet height and plot ratio of the former structure. The modest façade is subtly enlivened by red brick channelled pilasters and a deep moulded granite parapet cornice. The building shares a number of architectural devices with much of the street providing a unified ensemble of early twentieth-century structures.