Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced four-storey brick commercial building, built c.1920, as part of composition of three identical elevations with two-tier oriel window and shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping and chimneystacks to west party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite ashlar blocking course and moulded cornice spanning three elevations. Red brick pilaster to east end rising from first floor to parapet cornice with recessed brick panel, moulded brick plinth and granite capital moulding to cornice. Single square-headed window opening to third floor with granite surround, granite sill and original tripartite timber casement window. Three-sided canted oriel window to first and second floors with pedimented timber cornice and roughcast rendered corbelled base. Original timber casement windows with overlights having roughcast rendered panel between levels and moulded timber sills. Replacement shopfront to ground floor flanked by painted granite ashlar pilasters with plinth and capital mouldings surmounted by panelled granite console brackets framing timber fascia and cornice above.
This commercial building forms part of the extensive reconstruction of the O'Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. This was built as a single composition of three identical elevations that aims to maintain the vertical emphasis and plot ratios of the previous buildings. Much of the original form and fabric have been retained, including casement windows with original glazing and partial shopfront. The building forms part of a terrace of early twentieth-century buildings on the south side of Lower Abbey Street, with a number of shared motifs including granite cornices and oriel windows, providing a sense of unity to the overall composition of the street.