Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced four-storey commercial building, built c.1920, as part of composition of three identical elevations with two-tier oriel windows and shopfronts to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping and chimneystacks to west party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite ashlar blocking course, and moulded cornice spanning three elevations. Red brick pilaster to west end rising from first floor to parapet having recessed brick panel, moulded brick plinth and granite capital moulding to parapet cornice. Single square-headed window opening to third floor with granite surround, granite sill and replacement uPVC window. Three-sided canted oriel window to first and second floors with pedimented timber cornice and roughcast rendered corbelled base. Original timber casement windows with overlights having roughcast rendered panel between levels and moulded timber sills. Two replacement timber framed shopfronts to ground floor each flanked by granite ashlar pilasters with plinth and capital mouldings surmounted by granite panelled console brackets framing timber fascia and cornice spanning each shopfront.
This commercial building forms part of the extensive reconstruction of the O’Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. Built as a single composition of three identical elevations that aims to maintain the vertical emphasis and plot ratios of the previous buildings. Much of the original form and fabric have been retained, including casement windows with original glazing and shopfronts. The building forms part of a terrace of early twentieth-century buildings on the south side of Lower Abbey Street, with a number of shared motifs including granite cornices and oriel windows, giving a unified architectural appearance to the streetscape.