Survey Data

Reg No

50010274


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1915 - 1925


Coordinates

316012, 234553


Date Recorded

03/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced single-bay four-storey building, built c.1920, with double-height oriel window and shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind granite ashlar parapet wall with chimneystack to west party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with channel rusticated granite pilasters to either end rising from first floor to granite frieze and deep moulded cornice over second floor. Further granite blocking course at third floor lintel level and moulded granite cornice. Oriel window to first and second floors with canted central section and sidelights flush to fa├žade. Replacement hardwood casement windows and multiple-pane overlights with central rendered apron panel having raised festoon mouldings, cast-iron rainwater goods and corbelled-out base below continuous granite sill course. Replacement shopfront to ground floor framed by painted granite pilasters on plinth blocks.

Appraisal

This commercial building forms part of the extensive reconstruction of the O'Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. Retaining much of the original form and fabric the building forms part of a terrace of early twentieth-century buildings on the north side of Lower Abbey Street, with a number of shared motifs including granite cornices and oriel windows, providing a sense of unity to the streetscape.