Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1915 - 1925


316010, 234553

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced single-bay four-storey building, built c.1920, with double-height oriel window and shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind granite ashlar parapet wall with chimneystack to west party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with channel rusticated granite pilasters to either end rising from first floor to granite frieze and deep moulded cornice over second floor. Further granite blocking course at third floor lintel level and moulded granite cornice. Oriel window to first and second floors with canted central section and sidelights flush to façade. Replacement hardwood casement windows and multiple-pane overlights with central rendered apron panel having raised festoon mouldings, cast-iron rainwater goods and corbelled-out base below continuous granite sill course. Replacement shopfront to ground floor framed by painted granite pilasters on plinth blocks.


This commercial building forms part of the extensive reconstruction of the O’Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. Retaining much of the original form and fabric the building forms part of a terrace of early twentieth-century buildings on the north side of Lower Abbey Street, with a number of shared motifs including granite cornices and oriel windows, providing a sense of unity to the streetscape.