Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced four-storey brick building, built c.1920, as matching pair of buildings with three-tier oriel window to each and pair of shopfronts. Built in terrace of five similar elevations. Flat roof divided in two, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and chimneystacks to central and west party walls. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with flush granite ashlar courses and granite blocking course forming third floor lintel surmounted by deep moulded granite cornice supported on three large scrolled console brackets. Pair of three-tier oriel windows set in recesses from first to third floors with central shallow canted section and original timber casement windows, moulded timber sills and rendered aprons. Two replacement shopfronts to ground floor each framed by original channel rusticated granite piers on moulded plinths and granite cornice above spanning across five elevations.
This commercial building forms part of the extensive reconstruction of the O'Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. Built as part of a terrace of five similar elevations that strove to maintain the vertical emphasis and plot ratios of the previous buildings. Much of the original form and fabric have been retained, including casement windows with original glazing. The building forms part of a terrace of early twentieth-century buildings on the north side of Lower Abbey Street, with a number of shared motifs including granite cornices and oriel windows, providing a sense of unity, adding to the architectural interest and the overall composition of the street.