Survey Data

Reg No

50010263


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1730 - 1770


Coordinates

316037, 234675


Date Recorded

27/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1750 as one of pair, with shopfront to ground floor. Replacement single-span hipped slate roof and substantial angled chimneystack shared with neighbouring house. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and replacement cast-iron hoppers and downpipes breaking through to either end. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt in red brick to top half. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Replacement shopfront to ground floor with roller shutters and full-span fascia, flanked by late Victorian painted brick pilasters.

Appraisal

Marlborough Street was opened c.1700 and developed by the Moore family, the Earls of Drogheda. Recently refurbished this terraced house may have a late seventeenth or early eighteenth-century core, evident in the floor plan and roof configuration. Now in multiple commercial use, the nineteenth-century fa├žade presents a standard Georgian appearance of modest scale and greatly enhances the character and appearance of the streetscape.