Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1770
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1750 as one of pair, with shopfront to ground floor. Replacement single-span hipped slate roof and substantial angled chimneystack shared with neighbouring house. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and replacement cast-iron hoppers and downpipes breaking through to either end. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt in red brick to top half. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Replacement shopfront to ground floor with roller shutters and full-span fascia, flanked by late Victorian painted brick pilasters.
Marlborough Street was opened c.1700 and developed by the Moore family, the Earls of Drogheda. Recently refurbished this terraced house may have a late seventeenth or early eighteenth-century core, evident in the floor plan and roof configuration. Now in multiple commercial use, the nineteenth-century façade presents a standard Georgian appearance of modest scale and greatly enhances the character and appearance of the streetscape.