Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1930
Terraced two-bay four-storey retail premises, built c.1920, to designs by Fuller & Jermyn. Flat-roof concealed behind red brick parapet with squared granite coping, red brick chimneystack, shared cast-iron downpipes to west. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond, having granite dressings. Engaged pilasters flanking façade to second, third and fourth floors having Doric capitals carrying moulded granite cornices over granite platbands forming window heads. Engaged granite pilasters to first floor having gabled capitals, moulded cornice forming sill course to first floor. Square-headed window openings having shared granite lintel courses, chamfered granite soffits, granite sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Recently inserted shopfront flanked by granite engaged Doric pilasters surmounted by cornice and frieze terminating in bipartite console brackets. Fronts onto pedestrianized street.
Named after the Earl of Drogheda, Viscount Henry Moore, North Earl Street was badly damaged in the fighting of the Easter Rising in 1916. Much of the local building fabric was rebuilt in the classical style in the years 1917-19 under the Dublin Reconstruction Act, 1916. Number 2 retains most of its form and fabric dating from this period. A near replica of neighbouring number 3, the front elevation in red brick and granite and the heavy modillion cornice is a motif that is repeated several times along the street.