Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1810 - 1900


315996, 234689

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820 as one of pair, now in use as retail outlet. Pitched slate roof concealed behind M-profile slate roof, hipped to front and hidden behind parapet of c.1880, latter comprising granite coping with fluted granite gable finials over moulded corbelled dentillated cornice courses. Squared granite coping, chimneystack shared to west, cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish Bond. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Three-over-three pane arrangements to third floor, six-over-six pane to second and first floors, first floor having historic wrought-iron balconettes flanked by wrought-iron lamp fittings. Timber shopfront installed c.2005.


Much of North Earl Street was destroyed during the Easter Rising 1916. The survival of this pair of early nineteenth-century red brick houses, albeit having Victorian parapets, is therefore of particular significance and contributes greatly to the variety of the architectural heritage of the street which is now composed largely of red brick and granite purpose-built retail premises dating from circa 1919. This fine building retains much of its historic form and character and plays a vital role in the streetscape. The wrought-iron balconettes contribute to its appeal as do the unusual lamp fixtures.