Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1905 - 1910
Terraced nine-bay four-storey red brick and granite retail premises, dated 1908, designed by Frederick Higginbotham. Appears to have been originally constructed as six-bay retail premises with later three-bay addition attached to side (east) elevation. Flat roof concealed behind stone parapet having moulded balustrades with stone coping, integral date plaque reads 1908. Moulded stone coping surmounting red brick parapet to eastern bays. No visible rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond having tooled granite dressings. Engaged Doric pilasters delineate each bay to second and third floor levels. Granite plat bands form continuous moulded lintel courses and granite platbands to sills levels. Concrete platbands to eastern bays. Rendered walls to side (east, west) elevations. Recent projecting advertisement sign to east of front elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite window heads, moulded brick reveals, corniced corbelled granite sills with apron panels and timber casement windows. Openings paired to historic central bays. First floor windows comprising continuous glazing pattern having steel mullions with outward opening overlights. Recent shopfront, installed c.1990, comprising square-headed fixed display windows, central square-headed door opening with automatic double-leaf doors. Fronts onto pedestrianised street.
Named after the Earl of Drogheda, Viscount Henry Moore, North Earl Street was badly damaged in the fighting of the Easter Rising in 1916. As much of the street was rebuilt between 1917 and 1919 Boyer’s is a rare survivor on the street, dating as it does from slightly before the Rising. It is an impressively decorated red brick and granite early department store. Boyer’s contributes significantly to the wealth of interesting department store and retail buildings, situated on North Earl Street.