Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced two-bay three-storey brick commercial building, built c.1870, with replacement timber pub front to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind parapet wall with moulded granite coping and cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to either end. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with shallow breakfront defined by channel rusticated brick quoins to either side surmounted by deep modillioned granite cornice. Yellow brick walls to east elevation with red brick chimneystack rising from gable. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite keystones, granite sills and timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to second floor and single-pane to first. Replacement timber pub shopfront to ground floor with over-sized fascia.
Adjacent to one of the city's main thoroughfares, this attractively detailed commercial building retains its windows and façade details although with a reproduction timber pub front. Forming part of a terrace of various building types, this is one of the better detailed buildings and gives a late Victorian character to the streetscape.