Survey Data

Reg No

50010244


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Previous Name

M&L Szechuan Chinese Restaurant


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Restaurant


Date

1880 - 1900


Coordinates

315949, 234743


Date Recorded

21/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, built c.1890, formerly in use as commercial premises. Hipped slate roof with red brick two-stage chimneystack having red brick stepped cornice, replacement rainwater goods, moulded red brick eaves course, and pedimented central half-dormer window to front (north) elevation with timber bargeboards, ridge cresting and finial. Projecting front to half-dormer window resting on moulded granite consoles. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to upper floor having red brick string course, polychrome flush string courses and projecting red brick pilasters resting on moulded granite consoles flanking façade. Red brick wall laid in stretcher bond to ground floor. Rendered wall to side (west) elevation. Gauged brick round-headed window opening to half-dormer having moulded brick surround, masonry sill and single-pane timber sliding sash window. Gauged polychrome brick segmental-headed window openings to first floor, having moulded brick surrounds, masonry sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront to ground floor having timber fascia and recent steel shutters. Gauged brick three-centred-arch door opening to east of shopfront with steel door. Gauged brick round-headed door opening to west of shopfront having timber panelled door and single-pane overlight.

Appraisal

This subtle, but aesthetically pleasing, building retains much of its original form and fabric, particularly to the upper levels. Its timber sash windows, dormer window and tall chimneystack are notable features. The polychromatic brick enlivens the façade and suggests a late nineteenth-century date. The shopfront to the ground floor places this building firmly within the largely commercial context of the area surrounding O'Connell Street and its tributaries.