Survey Data

Reg No

50010226


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Office


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

316194, 234879


Date Recorded

30/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached gable-fronted chapel, built c.1800, now in use by Central Model School. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in English Garden Wall bond, having engaged red brick pilasters to front (south) elevation. Red brick broken-base pediment to gable to gable, red brick string course forming continuous sill course to north end west elevation. Gauged-brick square-headed window openings with single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Moulded red brick sills to windows to front. Gauged brick round-headed door opening to front having double-leaf timber battened door and quadripartite glazed fanlight. Gauged brick oculus to gable to front, steel louvered vent. Square-headed door opening to west with double-leaf timber battened door and paned overlight. Square-headed door openings to west elevation having timber battened doors, one with glazed overlight, one having timber louvered vent.

Appraisal

Although its early ecclesiastical use is not evident in the remaining form or fabric of this building, it retains some interesting features, most notably its timber sash windows and red brick detailing, which add architectural and aesthetic interest to the fa├žade. Sited within the curtilage of the Department of Education Central Model Schools, it is now in use as an administrative and educational building.