Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Attached square-plan single-bay single-storey gate lodge, built c.1838. Flat roof behind granite parapet wall, replacement rainwater goods to rear (east) elevation. Granite walls having plinth course and projecting square-plan granite quoins to front elevation, with moulded cornice throughout. Pair of Doric columns to front of square-headed glazed panel to north elevation. Ruled-and-lined rendered wall to rear. Square-headed door opening to front with granite surround, single-leaf cast-iron gate, with glazed panel behind. Granite step to entrance. Square-headed door opening to rear having granite lintel and replacement uPVC door. Adjoining gateway to north comprising square-plan granite piers with moulded granite cornices and capping, flanking double-leaf cast-iron gate.
This gate lodge forms part of a pair that flank the railings in front of the Department of Education buildings, and was probably designed by Jacob Owen in the 1830s. Although it has been recently refurbished, it retains much of its original form, and the simplicity and regularity of its design is articulated by the subtle grandeur of granite detailing to the Doric columns and quoins flanking the façade. The railings were made by Richard Turner.