Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1800, now in use by Department of Education. Double-pile slate roof, with pair of hipped projections to rear. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and rendered chimneystack with clay pots rising from north gable. Further chimneystack rising from rear elevation with clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on chamfered granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Walls rebuilt to top two floors. Ruled-and-lined cement rendered walls to north gable and return having stone cornice to parapet and cast-iron rainwater goods. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sash windows throughout. Tripartite window openings to north elevation of return at each level with granite mullions on granite sills with mouldings to plain granite frieze and cornice. Wrought-iron grilles to basement windows. Round-headed door opening with decorative coved surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supported fluted stepped lintel cornice with decorative webbed leaded fanlight over. Coved surround with series of panels embellished with festoons, paterae and margents to reveals. Door opens onto granite platform and three nosed granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement enclosed by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on moulded granite plinth wall with matching steel gates to platform. North gable abutted by gate lodge to Department of Education complex and rear abutted by another Department building.
This elegant Georgian house now forms part of the Department of Education complex and has been recently restored to a high standard. The standard Georgian façade is enlivened by a remarkably decorative doorcase with the tripartite windows to the return adding further interest. Terminating the north end of a short terrace, this building adds Georgian domestic grandeur to the streetscape.