Survey Data

Reg No

50010218


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1760 - 1800


Coordinates

316061, 234692


Date Recorded

04/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1780, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Double-pile slate roof, pitched to front with pair of gabled projections set perpendicular to rear. Roof hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with granite coping and replacement hopper and downpipe breaking through to north. Tall stepped rendered chimneystacks to north party wall. Red brick wall laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to top floor with rendered walls to rear and to both gables. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and replacement timber sash windows. First and second floor windows have exposed sash boxes, six-over-six pane and three-over-three pane to top floor with brick reveals. Square-headed window openings to rear elevation with timber sash windows. Replacement shopfront to ground floor with Victorian cornice over and square-headed door opening to south with replacement timber door and four-pane overlight.

Appraisal

This late eighteenth-century house rises above the remainder of the terrace and despite the altered shopfront, retains its façade composition to the upper floors complete with flush sash windows and exposed sash boxes. As one of a handful of eighteenth-century buildings on the street, this rare survivor is of particular importance to this historic streetscape and the wider area.