Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1830 - 1850


316157, 234728

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1840, now in commercial use. M-profile pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks and terracotta chimney pots, projecting to west party wall. Raised parapet wall having moulded masonry coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, painted to front (north) elevation, with rendered eaves course and channelled quoin bands, and masonry string course forming continuous sill course over shopfront. Rendered wall to east elevation. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to front having patent rendered reveals, masonry sills and timber sliding sash windows, single-pane to first and third floors, six-over-six pane to second floor. Recent shopfront to ground floor comprising panelled timber engaged pilasters on plinth bases, supporting fascia over square-headed glazed window and door openings behind steel rolling shutters.


This simple Georgian house was adapted for commercial use in 1913. It constitutes one of the few Georgian buildings remaining on the south side of Talbot street, much of the terrace having been redeveloped in recent years. This building retains much of its original form and fabric, including timber sash windows throughout and pleasant render details.