Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1840, now in use as commercial outlet, having recent shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with shared red brick chimneystack to east party wall behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Cast-iron hopper to top of façade. Lined-and-ruled rendered wall with panelled render engaged pilaster to east of façade. Diminishing square-headed window openings with masonry sills, moulded masonry shouldered-and-kneed architrave surrounds and replacement uPVC windows to second and third floors. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills, surrounds and moulded masonry pediments on scrolled consoles with foliate designs to first floor windows. Recent shopfront to ground floor comprising engaged pilasters on plinth bases, plain fascia over recent square-headed glazed window and door openings.
This modest house forms an important part of a terrace lining the north side of Talbot Street, which was laid out in the 1840s following the sale of Tyrone House. Its rendered façade is enlivened by moulded window surrounds, in particular the pedimented hood-mouldings to the first floor, and panelled render pilasters. The decorative, albeit slightly damaged, façade, provides a contrast to the predominantly red brick terrace.